Happy new year! Hard to believe another one is on the books - and what a year it was - but here we are on the brink of January 1. What will this next year bring? For me, it will encompass more lower-sugar naturally gluten-free recipes that I look forward to sharing with you!
These oat flour shortbread cookies are one of my favorites -- just a very simple, naturally gluten-free whole grain cookie sweetened with a bit of homemade powdered coconut sugar. Delicate and quite buttery, as good shortbread should be. This is one of those recipes that I've adapted to use less sugar, and I don't think the cookie suffers for it, especially with a little chocolate glaze. I also like these made with citrus zest and no chocolate. You could try another whole grain gluten-free flour of choice here, as long as you substitute by the weight measurement. I'll post a lemon shortbread recipe soon in the new year that is also very, very good.
I hope you enjoy these!
Til next time -- N x
Gluten-Free Shortbread Stars
- 1 cup/145 g gluten-free oat flour or sorghum flour
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 oz chopped bittersweet chocolate
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar, and salt.
- Using a handheld or in a stand mixer, add in the butter one piece at a time and mix until the dough starts to form a ball. At this point, you may need to add the milk - start with one teaspoon at a time and add one more at a time if needed. The dough should form a ball.
- Place dough on a work surface lightly floured with oat flour and form into a disc. Wrap in plastic and place in the fridge for at least ½ hour, preferably overnight.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from fridge and place on a work surface lightly floured with oat flour. You may need to let it warm up a bit. Roll out into a sheet that is ¼-inch thick. Using cookie cutters, cut out cookies and gently place on the prepared sheets.
- Place in the oven, and, baking one sheet at a time, bake for 13-15 minutes, until the edges begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and place pan on a rack to cool briefly, then place cookies on the rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Drizzle over cooled cookies.
Thank you! Will be working on lower sugar recipes ... yes!
Thank you! I'm glad to find you here as well :)
Yum! I’m delighted to find you here again! The changes look lovely on my phone. Can’t wait to look from a computer too!
Love the new look…these cookies sound appetizing! Crazy for butter cookies & less sugar is great for me! Thanks for sharing.