Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
You may make these sugar cookies with butter instead of coconut oil if you wish in a 1:1 substitution. Err on the side of underbaking rather than overbaking; I pulled mine at about 9 minutes.
- ½ cup coconut oil softened but not melted, or ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup maple sugar or sugar
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 egg large
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract optional
- ¼ cup/40 g sweet white rice flour
- 1 ¼ cup/130 g gluten-free oat flour
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- In a large bowl, cream the coconut oil and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, vanilla, and almond extract if using. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Beat in the flour mixture to the coconut oil mixture.
- Place the bowl in the fridge or turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap and wrap tightly. Place in the fridge for about a half hour; you can also store it for up to three days but the dough will need to be softened a bit before using.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- On a piece of parchment, sprinkle a good amount of oat flour. The dough will be fairly sticky. Turn dough out onto the paper, sprinkle with a bit more oat flour, then press flat and use a rolling pin to roll out. Cut out cookies with cutters and place on baking sheets 1 inch apart. Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes, then remove and cool on sheets for 10 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool completely. The longer you let the cookies rest, the more the flavors will develop! If wished, dust lightly with cinnamon sugar (1 teaspoon ground cinnamon + 1 tablespoon maple sugar).
- Store cookies in an air-tight container at room temperature for 5 days.
Serving: 1cookieCalories: 132kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 2gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.2gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0.001gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 30mgPotassium: 60mgFiber: 1gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 15IUCalcium: 17mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply