This Pasta with Peas recipe features a lemon-spiked, velvety sauce that coats gluten-free pasta. Broccoli, peas, and plenty of parmesan come together for a quick and easy dinner.
Why You’ll Lemon Pasta with Peas
I love how soaking and blending raw cashews turns them creamy and luscious but without the heaviness of cream. This easy recipe also includes lots of veggies. Here’s why you’ll love it:
- Gluten-Free. All of the ingredients needed to make this recipe are gluten-free. You can use regular pasta if you prefer.
- Enjoyed by all. Kids as well as adults love this creamy, satisfying dish!
- Adaptable. Try different vegetables in this recipe, like sauteed mushrooms, roasted or sauteed cauliflower, kale, etc.
What You Need
Here’s what you need for this pasta with peas recipe. The full ingredient amounts and instructions will be in the recipe card lower down.
- Cashews – Use raw, unsalted cashews
- Pasta – Use gluten-free pasta (my favorite is Jovial brown rice pasta) or regular as you like
- Olive oil – I always use extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon – Or use bottled lemon juice
- Salt and pepper – I prefer to use fine grain sea salt in all of my recipes
- Peas – Frozen peas work well
How to Make Lemon Pasta with Peas
- Make sauce: Soak the cashews then drain and blend in a food processor.
- Cook pasta: Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Cook veggies: Cook the garlic and broccoli over medium heat.
- Finish: Stir in the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and a ladle of the pasta water, then add the cashew sauce, and more pasta water, then add the cooked pasta and peas.
- Taste: Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
Store leftover pasta with peas in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, place in the microwave and heat on 1-minute increments until hot.
Add a big green salad to your pasta with peas, or serve it with freshly baked bread. I also like a side of vegetables, like roasted asparagus.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Pasta with Peas
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 box whole grain penne or pasta of choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- Juice from one medium-large lemon
- ¼ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- ⅙ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , plus more to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas , thawed
- Place cashews in a bowl, cover with boiling water, and soak for at least 15 minutes, then drain and blend in a high-speed blender with 1/2 cup water until smooth.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and reserve one cup of cooking water while draining.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil on medium. When hot, add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for about two minutes. Add the broccoli and cook a few minutes more.
- Stir in the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and a ladle of the pasta water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has mostly evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add the cashew sauce and about 1/2 cup of the pasta water, then add the cooked pasta and peas. Reduce heat to low. Stir gently until the pasta is coated with sauce, adding additional pasta water as needed to make sure the sauce coats all of the pasta.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.